Have you ever walked into the grocery store and as soon as you touch the metal shopping cart you get a jolt of electricity? This is static electricity that has been built up and when you touch it you might get that quick shock. Although it won’t cause any pain it can still cause a reaction. When it comes to the electricity that is running in your house it is a larger issue if you end up getting a shock. The shock that you get can cause injury as well as damage to your house. You want to make sure that you are careful and aware of what might cause a shock and what you can do to prevent them from occurring.
Sentry Electric Offers Tips for How to Keep from Getting Shocked in Your Home
Cover Your Electrical Outlets: The first thing that you can do to protect your family from being shocked is to cover your outlets. The outlets that are not being used are left exposed. That is not a big deal until you have a toddler that is making his or her way around the room. They seem to want to try and put anything in their hand into anything that it might fit. They could have a toy that has metal on it that they try and cram into the socket. This can then lead to the socket causing an electric shock. There is a great way to cover the outlets so that this will not happen. There are plastic covers that can be placed in the socket to prevent this from occurring. You want to make sure that you cover any and all of the outlets that a child may have access too.
Make Electrical Repairs: When you are looking around your house you want to make sure that you check the outlets and the fixtures. If you can see damage to any of these outlets it is a good idea to make sure that they are repaired. If the outlets are damaged it could leave exposed parts of the electrical outlet that could cause a shock. If you are concerned about damaged outlets it is a good idea to have an electrician come out and inspect as well as replace and repair the damage. This is a great way to prevent a potential shock.
Never Overload Electrical Circuits: One way that people end up getting a shock is when they are using their outlet in an incorrect way. The outlets are all installed with a certain amount of voltage that it can handle. When you start to misuse the outlets you can set yourself up for a shock. You want to make sure that you avoid using too many extensions on a particular outlet. This means that you want to avoid adding too many appliances and plugs into one area. This can overload the outlet and that will then cause a shock when you turn the outlet on or when you make any changes.
Electric Outlet Repair, Replacement & More in Greenwich, New Canaan, Darien, Norwalk, Westport, Southbury, Stamford, CT & Fairfield County, Connecticut
Sentry Electric can come to your house and do a full electrical inspection. Call us today to have an electrician sent out to your house.